Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A community for volleyball officials

My goal in starting this blog is to create a place for volleyball officials to gather and talk about the challenges and fun stories of this profession.

I've been officiating volleyball for 8 years now, in a variety of levels, starting like everyone else at junior high, middle school, and CYO/rec ball, onto high school, community college, and Div II, along with USAV ball (a bit inconsistently). But in all that time I have yet to find a good web community for those of us who officiate this sport.

For a while I tried writing for Officiating.com, but that was a bit too rigid and I didn't just want to write articles. My favorite part of officiating isn't officiating the match, it's going out for a beer with my crew afterwards and debating the fine points of the match, and arguing about how to handle scenarios, new rule proposals, all of the attributes of a dialogue and community.

I feel that there needs to be a broader discussion. Volleyball is a fast growing sport, with many rule changes over the past decade that are still sinking in. At the same time, so much of what we do as officials comes down to judgment, and it is in these areas where I feel we have the largest part of inconsistency and the biggest frustration for the coaches, players and fans.

I'll try to kick off topics for conversation. I'm open to discussing just about any part of volleyball, and if you have anything you'd like to see talked about here just let me know.

No comments: